The Systems/Network Administrator position is responsible for day-to-day administration and technical support of complex Linux servers, including but not limited to Virtual Infrastructure and Systems Management, as well as maintenance and support of end-user systems. Responsibilities include installation, upgrades, system patching, configuration and monitoring of Linux servers/applications both physical and virtual, as well as end-user systems and software, maintenance of Google Workspace and Office 365 accounts, as well as hosted VoIP solution. The Administrator is also responsible for ensuring proper backups are maintained for all systems, both servers and end-user systems. Works closely with clients and cross-functional departmental teams to provide complete support, fulfill new service requests, resolve incidents and problem cases. Develops and maintains a library of standard operating procedures and documentation. Responsible for 24/7 on-call support.
- Server Administration:
- Design, install, configure, upgrade, maintain, monitor, tune performance of, servers and infrastructure, both internal and client-related.
- Install, configure, maintain, monitor and tune performance for Linux Server operating systems (primarily Ubuntu/Debian), utility software and server hardware including installation of patches and corrective service.
- Provide support for problems from clients and other internal groups.
- Respond to problems and apply appropriate operating system fixes and patches as necessary. Examine various server logs and determine if any corrective action is required.
- Review releases of new operating systems and evaluate their implementation in the enterprise. Implement new operating system releases in both virtual and physical servers.
- Install, configure and maintain server firewall and other security software. Identify and provide technical resolution for potential security breaches. Establish and monitor security and apply appropriate fixes.
- Monitor and maintain system integrity assuring maximum availability. This includes monitoring backups, maintaining appropriate access rights, and securing enterprise systems in accordance with IT Service standards. Monitor and forecast future capacity needs. Monitor and ensure all systems and data are backed up and recoverable.
- Implement and maintain technical solutions for disaster recovery and business continuity of enterprise and client systems. Administration of Active Directory (Samba) including group policy management, OU administration, and maintaining user/computer account permissions and access rights.
- Administer physical server hardware, including repair and replacement of parts as necessary
- Perform administration tasks and troubleshooting related to physical and virtual infrastructure.
- Plan and Design Server Hardware
- Select and size server hardware (both physical and virtual) including configuring processors, memory, and I/O interface cards appropriate to business requirements.
- Plan local and shared storage partitions for operating system, data, logs, etc.
- System Automation, Research, and Consulting
- Participate in research and development projects within the organization to assist in overall improvement and optimization of environment.
- Contribute to system automation via scripting and other tools to reduce time spent on operational tasks.
- Interact effectively and courteously with both technical and non-technical users across all levels of the organization.
- Document system design and related processes.
- End-user support
- Monitor and maintain proper end-user system security by ensuring operating systems and software are up-to-date and apply patches as necessary
- Monitor and maintain backups of end-user systems.
- Provide configuration, troubleshooting, and maintenance of all company-provided end-user equipment including computer equipment and cell phones.
- Provide limited support for all employee BYOD devices with relation to ensuring proper interaction with company infrastructure.
- Maintenance and support of all end-user service accounts including Office365, Google Workspace, hosted VoIP accounts.
- Other duties as assigned
- Server Administration - Effectively plan, deploy and administer Linux servers in an enterprise environment (e.g. Apache, Nginx, Samba, ISC DHCP, Bind9 DNS, SFTP, SMTP, Linux Firewall, iptables, systemd, NFS, SMB/CIFS, AFP.) Strong understanding of modern Linux Server technologies and related best practices. Strong familiarity of systems administration scripting (Shell, Python, Perl, etc.)
- Troubleshooting - Strong familiarity with Linux OS, Windows, macOS, application and hardware troubleshooting.
- Virtualization - Familiarity with VMware ESXi and XenServer/XCP-NG, DigitalOcean, Amazon AWS, and Docker.
- Hardware - Familiarity with Dell PowerEdge server hardware
- Networking and Storage - Familiarity with pfSense (*BSD pf) firewalls, Ubiquiti network gear, Synology NAS equipment. Familiarity with iSCSI, NFS, SMB, and AFP file protocols. TCP/IP, UDP, and VLAN configurations.
- Documentation - Ability to compose thorough and clear documentation on routine tasks, standard operating procedures and other documents beneficial to team members.
- Focus - focus on delivering high quality service, needs of the key stakeholders, end-users, service orientation, organizational communications and getting results.
- Listening and communications - build partnerships/relationships through listening and understanding. Express oneself effectively in all media, with diplomacy, openness and transparency. Provide specific and appropriate feedback.
- Keep abreast of IT trends and technologies and build knowledge and technical expertise.
- Internalize and act on organizational mission and goals. Work effectively across organizational community. Active interest in IT.
- Takes personal ownership of professional development
- Generates pragmatic approaches to addressing issues, challenges, and opportunities. Analyzes problem. Develops and implements effective solutions. Makes sound business decisions in a timely manner.
- Familiarity with Icinga or other monitoring solutions.
- Bachelor's degree or minimum four years of related work experience required.
- Minimum three years of experience in Linux server administration in small to midsize environment is required.
- Experience with Debian-based Linux or Ubuntu operating systems, roles, services, concepts, security, permissions, middleware and facilities required. (e.g. SMTP, NFS, SMB, iptables, LVM, LUKS)
- Minimum three years experience administering Apache and/or Nginx web servers.
- Experience with Samba4 as an Active Directory Domain Controller.
- Experience administering Active Directory through the use of GPOs and OUs.
- Experience supporting Windows and macOS systems required.
- Experience in scripting concepts and methods with competence in at least one relevant language (e.g. Bash, Python, Perl, etc.) required.
- Experience with Internet clients/servers/protocols, including HTTPS, SSH, MTAs (e.g. Postfix) required.
- Experience with Amazon AWS S3, EC2, and ElasticBeanstalk required.
- Knowledge of scripting concepts and methods.
- Experience supporting and troubleshooting Windows (7/10) and macOS.
- IT project management practices and techniques required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills preferred.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Standard office environment.
- On-call responsibilities.
- Ability to stand for short or extended time periods.
- Ability to bend, crouch, or stoop.
- Ability to extensively use a computer.
- Ability to make repetitive wrist, hand, or finger movements.
- Ability to see, including color, depth perception, or clarity.
- Ability to hear, including making fine discrimination in sound.
- Ability to carry/lift loads of 25 lbs. to 50 lbs.
- Cover Letter